Sunday, 14 October 2012

Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes

Don't be put off by the cover! Not that there's anything wrong with reading a story with a pink cover of course (I've read 'Pride and Prejudice', 'One Day' and 'P.S. I Love You' in the last couple of years I should mention [They were recommended to me by Amazon and had lots of good reviews!!]) No shame, I should hope :-/ Anyway, the book at hand - Jojo Moyes' 'Me Before You'. Good read. A love story with a difference. Not your typical girl meets boy and then the book ends [ not that I've read any of those; I honestly haven't :) ]. Believable characters here too. The main two characters: Louisa and Will. The first - Louisa - a young, distinctive personality who has no ambition nor desire to venture outside of her daily routine until the local cafe she works at closes shop, permanently. The other - Will -  a young-ish, high-flying businessman brought to a standstill - quadriplegia - by an unfortunate traffic accident and wanting to end his life. A bit of a spoiler there but it's disclosed quite early in the book so surely you won't mind!..

7 comments:

This Soul said...

Bro - you going soft? Love stories!

adil said...

lol, not going soft. Always was soft :p Just misunderstood :)

This Soul said...

I'm sure that this wasn't 'always' on your bookshelf! :P

It would point to a new soft element in your life, beyond the mouthguard somewhere... ;)

adil said...

lol, you're right about it not always being on my bookshelf but I think it's a more general recent change/realisation within me about the importance of fiction and narrative. (What we're currently discussing in our parallel email exchange funnily enough.) In other news: got two stripes to add to my blue belt today. Yay! :)

This Soul said...

Mabrook, next step purple?

I've been very lazy with reading recently (a few years now), the smartphone and short message/twitter media is taking over. Need some focus IA

adil said...

Not a fan of belts myself and have only ever trained in a Gi/belt twice! but gonna start wearing it out of respect for my current teacher and class. Yup, next step if I continue doing BJJ once or twice a week should be purple, maybe another stripe before that. Scary!.. Wearing purple would mean people looking up to me as a teacher... or a target!! :)

This Soul said...

Khayr in sha Allah bro! :)

I'm sure you'll take the responsibility in your stride, watch your back...better to be a moving target as they say! :)