Sunday 22 April 2012

The Rise of the Introvert

Read and liked this article by John Morrish in the April 2012 issue of Management Today which reviewed Susan Cain's recently released book 'Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking':


Found myself answering true to almost all the questions at the end. Here's some...
  • I prefer one-to-one conversations to group activities.
  • I often prefer to express myself in writing.
  • I enjoy solitude.
  • I seem to care less than my peers about wealth, fame and status.
  • People tell me that I'm a good listener.
  • I'm not a big risk-taker.
  • I like to celebrate birthdays on a small scale, with only one or two close friends or family members.
  • People describe me as 'soft-spoken' or 'mellow'.
  • I dislike conflict.
  • I tend to think before I speak.
  • I feel drained after being out and about, even if I've enjoyed myself.
... Still not convinced though whether these are qualities to be embraced and worked with, or characteristics to be resisted and overcome...

No comments: