Wednesday 20 July 2011

When a fall is due...

Got a ticket last week for parking my scooter against regulation (more on this another time) and took my first tumble off my bike earlier today. Quite the experience! It happened so fast I had to sit by the curb for twenty minutes afterwards to make sense of it all... I pulled out of my place of residence and remember thinking how strangely close to the opposite, right edge of the road I had curved out to. Next thing I know, in a flash, as though destiny had propelled me to my place of falling, my bike is side-to-side with the left edge of the road; something clips my bike and down we go. I fell off the bike, slid, spun and twisted forward until the momentum slowed and I sat on my bottom, legs forward, knees raised, arms around my shins, hands clasped, thinking: hmm. I sat there for a while allowing my head, which had a taken a thump against the pavement, to spin its course and would have sat there longer still were it not for a young lady to come over and ask me whether I was alright. Knowing no other way, I got up and said I was fine: just a small knock. She advised me in good spirit to keep my eyes on the road when I rode. I laughed, thanking her for the advice. When she left, I picked my bike up and sat by the curb reflecting on the moment and thinking how complacent an individual I had become in recent past. I don't know if it's just me but I find that there's something graceful, humbling, about taking the occasional fall. Got some small cuts and grazes so the complacencies (and vows to overcome my complacencies) should stick with me for a while insha-Allah.

2 comments:

Sy said...

Glad you were ok, my brother got in to a car accident the other day, alhumdulillah he was alright but these sorts of experiences really do remind you of your weaknesses and mortality

adil said...

Yup, and I swear I have no idea how I got from being too far to the right edge of the road to instantaneously hitting into the left edge of the road. I guess the saying "where you look is where you go" is true t an extent but really goes to show how powerless we are to our destiny except in the good deeds (and abstention from bad deeds) we put forward for ourselves!